Monday, November 02, 2009

365:341 Maskwamozi Wigwam


365:341 Maskwamozi Wigwam, originally uploaded by pennacook.

I used the Abenaki word "Maskwamozi" here which means "birch tree". I decided to take a walk in Stratham, NH at the Great Bay Discovery Center. Some great views of the bay, but when I saw this, I knew I should make it today's shot. This is a reproduction of what Abenaki would have used for living quarters back in the 1600's. The center took the design from Keith Wilbur's "The New England Indians". Wilbur did a great job providing sketch drawings of every day living for those who lived here in his book. Outside to the left is a dugout canoe. decluttr'd

Project 365, Day 341.




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Mary Jeddore Blakney said...

I love this picture! Thanks for sharing it. I have shared it on my website, also, with credit and a link, here. If you're not comfortable with this, let me know and I'll remove it.