Saturday, April 05, 2008

Dan McLeod; Jan. 2, 1947 - Apr. 2, 2008


Dan McLeod; Jan. 2, 1947 - Apr. 2, 2008, originally uploaded by Ben McLeod.

My father passed away this past Wednesday. He was only 61.

For the past 15-or-so years he has fought a disease called Alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency. It attacked his lungs and made it difficult for dad to breathe. It also attacked his immune system and left his body defenseless.

He somehow got an infection in his blood. Apparently, this would force the hospitalization of a healthy adult. In my dad's case, the infection quickly spread through his body and shut it down.

He had his whole family gathered around him when he went, and I know that was important to him.

But I miss him so much. This isn't fair.

My father was the most incredibly caring man. He was the greatest father on earth. I hope that I can be half the father he was.

He also provided me with an example of how to be a good husband. He and my mother were so in love.

I miss you dad.

Hold Fast.


This post is a tribute to Ben McLeod's father. Ben is a member of our NH Flickr Group's family.

Our deepest sympathies to you and your family, Ben.

1 comment:

Jeanne Breault said...

I am so sorry for your loss...I'm certain you miss him terribly, especially as Father's Day gets closer.

It's wonderful that your memories of him are that he was the most wonderful father on earth and so in love with your mother. It's clear from your writing that he passed those values on to you. While lacking the physical contact you'd prefer, your memories and values keep him alive with you forever.